In shifting the Division system-wide to Personalized electronic Blended Learning (PeBL), this process will be a multi-year endeavor. This includes a multi-year budget planning cycle built within the context of the existing provincial budget allocation to the Division. Outside funding does not appear to be a solution.
- Budget Plan for ongoing costs to support PeBL
- Budget Process/Timeline
- Budget Priorities/Implications
- January – Initial budget submissions due from Superintendents, schools, and departments. Include new and ongoing initiatives.
- March – Ministry Budget Day. Funding for upcoming budget year announced. Challenges with unknown funding model. Build budget and identify priorities.
- May – Review of budget with Board for approval. Upon approval, submit to the Ministry for approval.
- Staffing – Determine staffing to support PeBL (Teacher, Support Staff – Educational Assistants, IT, etc.). Staffing expense majority of budget. Short and long-term impact on student /teacher ratio?.
- Resources – Determine resources to support PeBL and build into budget as ongoing costs versus access to reserves.
- Infrastructure – Determine facility and technology requirements. What will the classroom look like (requirements for space for larger groups, furniture, computer labs and libraries?).
- Budget planning discussions will need to be held at Sun West Executive Leadership Team (SWELT) meetings in addition.
- School level meetings should be held in collaboration with all staff.
- Both School-Based Administrators and Division office staff need to work collaboratively in the budget planning process to maximize efficiencies in order to provide the supports needed without significantly impacting other budget areas.